KD's Blog

Friday, September 14, 2007

There is always one...

Today I thought it would be a good idea to do two labs. Fridays are a little more laid back and it seemed like a great idea. I arrived around the same time I normally do and mixed up my "mystery solution" for the eighth grade lab. I even added blue food color so that they could read the levels better. That lab went well except my students still don't know the difference between mass and volume. We went over it right before the lab. It was on the board. Our last lab (on Tuesday) dealt with mass and volume. This was my first indication that Friday labs might not be that great of an idea. 

My second lab was with the sixth grade. They are unusually chatty and wild. Add a little electricity (literally!) and they are wound. We did a lab on evaporation. We went over the directions and safety. We talked about the risks and how much I really want to keep my job. We talked about the temptation of a pipette and wanting to play with it. But no, there is always one. I have not sent many to the principal's office. I sent them to Chad for the last few years, but this one went straight to Mrs. Finley. There is always one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Debra said...

Katie, when I read today's blog it reminded me of Ned Nesti at our 6th grade parents meeting when your brother Nick was in his class. He said "6th graders are scary. I never trust them with scissors!" Isn't science fun??!!! Love you Mom

September 14, 2007 at 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home