KD's Blog

Monday, July 30, 2007

Favorite Things: Downtown West Portal

Marc always teases me about having romantic notions about common ordinary things. I have an idealistic picture of my two summers I spent with my friends Jen and Kelly in Cedarburg. I loved walking around the picturesque tree-lined streets and enjoyed the quaint shops and cafe's of the downtown. My best friend Lisa's apartment was a short walk away and we had bonfires and endless parties in our backyard cabana. I am always hunting for a little downtown area that feels as cozy and comfy as Cedarburg did those two summers. I had a small sense of that living off of Downer Avenue on the East Side. It was small, but it had that same sense of familiarity and friendliness. I spent many hours at the bookstore, the bagel shop, and of course Lixx for a frozen yogurt fixx. 

West Portal Downtown has that same feel. It is lined with great restaurants, interesting shops, coffee cafe's and even two Irish pubs! We are hoping one of the pubs will be like Paddy's Irish Pub on the East Side of Milwaukee (nothing can take the place of Paddy's!). There is a toy shop where I already picked up something for my adopted nephew, Sam, and a small cinema. The hardware store is friendly and well-stocked with everything a new tenant could need to get settled. I am sorry I don't have any pictures to show you, but I will take some and add it to the blog soon. I will be sure to take all of our visitors to the big city neighborhood with a small downtown feel.  

2 Comments:

Blogger deb h said...

Thanks for all the info on Sonoma!
Everyone we talked to when we were
out there recommended that over
Napa. The hotel looks really neat.
It's nice that you can check this
all out for all of us so we know what to do when we're there!! deb h

July 31, 2007 at 5:21 PM  
Blogger Writing Teacher78 said...

When are you coming back? You can stay with us anytime. The guest room is almost ready-it will be ready on Saturday! We are taking my parents to Sonoma on Sunday. Marc wanted to go and if they want more time there, we can go back during the week. It will feel like a heat wave there compared to here! I went over to Emeryville (across the Bay Bridge) to go to the other IKEA and do some shopping and it was a balmy 68! You can see people in shorts and t-shirts and others in wool jackets walking down the same street.

August 1, 2007 at 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home