KD's Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

A Full Day of Food


We started out the day buying Muni passes (www.sfmta.com) down at the main station on Market Street which is a few blocks from union square. (Muni is the name given to the public transportation in SF--the trolly, busses, train and streetcars. The subway is called the BART. A muni pass or passport can be purchased for one-three-or seven days and allows you unlimited rides on any of the Muni transportation.) Marc dropped us off on his way to work, and we were off to see the city via public transportation. 

We lined up and after a short wait, we were on our trolly set for Fisherman's Wharf. We walked around the Wharf until lunchtime. We decided to eat at Boudin even though I offered to make a sweep through the seafood street vendors for my adventurous foodie father. He decided to go with the clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl. After lunch, we walked along the Bay toward the Alcatraz docking area. My parents set off for the Rock and I set off to shop. I took the streetcar back downtown toward Union Square, mailed my friend Rollie's birthday present (his birthday is Friday), and took off for a few shops. I bought two sweaters (it's cold here and they were both on sale), then decided to head back down to the wharf to meet my parents. I waited at Peet's Coffee shop (www.peets.com) next to the docks and read. Two hours later my two sun burt parents came back from Alcatraz with some great pictures and stories. One of the convicts who was confined at Alcatraz was selling books at the bookstore on the Rock and my dad bought one. 

We took the streetcars (just because they are fun) to California street then hopped on a trolly that travels the other trolly line. We took that trolly all the way to the end of its route and half way back. We jumped on another trolly and went down to Ghirardelli Square. (That picture is for you, Cindy!) My dad and I attempted to spoil our dinner (Marc helped me out) but it didn't work. Marc caught up with us and took us to our dinner location, The Stinking Rose. (www.thestinkingrose.com) This restaurant specializes in everything garlic. Even garlic martinis and garlic ice cream. We did not try either, but the food was delicious. It was not as garlic infused as I thought it would be, but it was still very good. 

On our way home, we went over twin peaks and noticed some fireworks in the distance. Marc turned on the am sports station and sure enough, Bonds hit the record breaking home run. We have tickets for the outfield for tomorrow night. We were hoping he would hold out one more day. Maybe we'll catch 757...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home