KD's Blog

Monday, August 6, 2007

Duck, Duck...




We had an adventurous day in SF. We drove around some of the sites we missed on Saturday and found some that I had never been to. We drove through Golden Gate Park and even visited Shakespeare Garden. It was in a little disrepair, but had a charming gate which was unfortunately missing a letter. Good thing I have a brilliant husband who knows a little bit about Adobe Photoshop. 

We drove through the Haight Street area and took pictures of the famous skyline in Alamo Square. We saw Japan Town and drove to China Town. There we shopped and ate at an interesting restaurant. My dad has had some interesting dishes since he has arrived and they haven't come from my kitchen. Yesterday he had a chicken liver sandwich and rabbit sausage for dinner. Today's dish was deep-fried duck tongue. I never really thought about a duck tongue before today. I suppose a duck needs one for Quacking and such, but I really didn't think about eating it. He had a plate of about 20 little duck tongues and they looked disgusting. He enjoyed them and I am sure they are a delicacy somewhere--probably China Town (and China). The place was reminiscent of my travels in Taiwan with their lazy susans in the middle of the table and interesting things on the menu. My mom and I were happy they had egg rolls and sweet and sour chicken on the menu. My mom also ordered something that we picked around and my dad ate to wash down the tongues. After lunch we took a short walk up a steep hill to the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Company and bought a bag of fresh fortune cookies for Marc. Then we drove around North Beach and Telegraph hill which I had never really ventured to before. 

Afterward, I drove down Lombard, the famous crooked street with beautiful houses and gardens. My mom thought the hills around were some of the steepest in the city so I decided to take her down one of my favorite streets, Filmore. It has two hills where you can't see the street ahead until your car is almost vertical.  

Driving around we found the Palace of Fine Arts built for the 1915 Pacific-Panama International Exhibition. You can see it from many points of the city, but you can't fathom the size until you are standing next to it. We also drove through the Presidio which is an old military base transformed into housing and park area. We drove along the ocean and captured views of the Golden Gate from remarkable angles. The sun was even shining this afternoon which was a nice treat. Hopefully it will be nice for my parents trip to the rock tomorrow.  

1 Comments:

Blogger deb h said...

Leave it to your dad to come with
something like that!! Sounds like
you're having a good time. Adam
said the same thing about the hills there. Love to everyone, deb

August 7, 2007 at 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home